Bronchitis in adults: symptoms and treatment. Allergic bronchitis: symptoms in an adult
Almost every one of us is familiar with the phenomenon of coughing. Some do not pay attention to him at all, but in vain. It can very easily turn into more serious problems that will require long-term treatment. In our article we will try to understand what constitutes bronchitis in adults. Symptoms, causes and treatment of this disease will be discussed in detail below.
What is bronchitis?
This disease is a common respiratory disease. During bronchitis, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bronchi and bronchioles occurs. The causative agents of this disease can be both bacteria and viruses. Allergic bronchitis can also be observed.
The epithelial tissue of the bronchi begins to swell, pus accumulates there. The lumen of the bronchi narrows, because of this, breathing becomes difficult, a cough appears.If you do not know how bronchitis is manifested in adults, these symptoms should alert you already.
Varieties of bronchitis
Any disease can manifest itself in different ways, hence its forms and types. If we talk about the course of bronchitis, it happens:
- Acute. Most often accompanied by viral infections, from which a person is not completely got rid of.
- Chronic formusually has periods of exacerbations and remission, when a person feels completely normal.
Since the causative agent of bronchitis can be various pathogens, depending on this there are the following forms:
- Viral bronchitis.Appears often as a complication after a viral infection, such as influenza, ARVI.
- Infectious- cause a variety of bacteria.
- Allergic Bronchitisdevelops as a manifestation of allergy to a specific antigen.
- Toxic chemical bronchitismay appear after poisoning the body with toxic substances.
Depending on what type of bronchitis in adults, the symptoms will differ.
Symptoms of acute bronchitis
Bronchitis is never asymptomatic, so suspecting this disease is easier than simple.Symptoms of acute bronchitis in adults look like this:
- Body temperature rises sharply.
- There is a strong dry cough with sore and burning sensation in the chest. After a few days, it becomes wet, and sputum begins to recede.
- Decreased performance.
- Fast fatiguability.
- Heavy sweating.
- Pain in the chest.
- Chills may appear periodically.
- If during this period the doctor listens to the patient, then wheezing is heard in the chest.
- Breathing is heavy.
If a person suffers a disease hard, then shortness of breath may be added. This can be explained by blockage of bronchial lumen or their spasm. Such bronchitis is called obstructive. Symptoms of bronchitis in an adult in this case will also be in the form of paroxysmal cough.
Bronchitis in chronic form does not bother the person all the time, he is now in remission, then becomes aggravated again. During this period, the following symptoms can be observed:
- Moist cough, in which the purulent sputum erupts. In the first days of exacerbation, a cough can torment a person in the morning, and then appears day and night.
- The body temperature rises.
- At night, increased sweating.
- Reduced performance.
- It freezes people, there may be shortness of breath.
Symptoms of chronic bronchitis in adults can appear at a fairly young age, if a person has such a bad habit as smoking. With age, exacerbations occur more often, and symptoms appear brighter.
Quite often, allergic reactions are accompanied by coughing. If allergic bronchitis is diagnosed, the symptoms in adults may be:
- It is difficult to breathe and on exhalation shortness of breath appears.
- There are dry rales.
- On the radiological image there are no significant changes in the bronchi.
- Regular exacerbation of symptoms, especially after contact with allergens.
- Body temperature, as a rule, remains at a normal level.
It is important to diagnose allergic bronchitis in time. Symptoms in adults and children usually appear the same. Treatment requires a completely different, unlike an infectious disease. Soothes only the fact that if you negate the contact with allergens, then this bronchitis will quickly leave you.
Causes of bronchitis
Very often, the symptoms of bronchitis in an adult begin to appear if complications of a viral infection occur. Also not treated after acute respiratory infections may well end with a cough. The causative agents are usually viruses or bacteria. Very rarely, chlamydia or mycoplasma can act as provocateurs of bronchitis.
The viral form can be gradually replaced by a bacterial one. There are several reasons that contribute to the development of this disease:
- Weak immunity.
- Sharp temperature drops.
- Long stay in humid cold air.
- Exposure to dust and smoke.
- Harmful vapors of chlorine, ammonia, alkali.
- Infectious diseases of the nose, throat or mouth.
- Congenital abnormalities in the upper respiratory tract.
- Chest injuries can also trigger bronchitis.
Many doctors believe that with age, the probability of getting sick increases, especially if a person smokes.
The main methods of treatment of bronchitis
Any disease is treatable more effectively if it is approached in a complex way. Among the main directions of treatment of bronchitis are the following:
- Drug therapy.If there is bronchitis, the symptoms in adults cannot be eliminated without medication.
- Physiotherapyare also a good helper in the treatment of bronchitis.
- Traditional methods of treatment.
If you detect bronchitis (symptoms) in time, treatment in adults always ends quite successfully.
Medications for the treatment of bronchitis
Traditional methods, various physiotherapeutic procedures, though capable of alleviating the patient’s condition, can only cope with the disease completely by taking medications. Among them are several groups that doctors usually prescribe to fight bronchitis:
- Preparations for dry cough, such as "Lasolvan", "Sinekod", "Libeksin".
- Medicines that promote sputum discharge. This group includes Mukaltin, Ambroxol.
- Antibacterial drugs are usually prescribed, if there is a threat of pneumonia. The most effective are "Amoxil", "Azithromycin", "Ceftriaxone".
- Since bronchitis is accompanied by fever, it is justified to receive antipyretic.
- In the course of treatment, you can add immunostimulants that will help strengthen the immune system.
- If bronchospasm develops, the use of bronchodilators is recommended, for example, Neofilina, Salbutamola.
All medicines should be prescribed only by a doctor, do not self-medicate, so as not to earn unwanted problems.
Usually, after a few days of intensified and correct treatment, bronchitis subsides, the symptoms in adults begin to show less and less.
Traditional methods of treatment
In the treasury of folk healers, there are also recipes for the treatment of bronchitis. The most popular are the following:
- Tea with honey and lemon perfectly softens, has anti-inflammatory properties. It is necessary to drink 3-4 times a day.
- Garlic is an excellent antimicrobial agent. If it is consumed daily, it helps not only in treatment, but also in prevention. You can prepare a mixture of three chopped garlic heads, 2 tablespoons of honey. Pour a liter of warm water, insist 10 hours and take 1 tablespoon before meals.
- It is useful to put mustard plasters on your chest before going to bed. Mustard warms well and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Acceptance of a decoction of raspberry leaves helps sputum discharge.
Well help inhalation, for their implementation, you can use a variety of medicinal herbs, such as chamomile, sage. Hot air gives a local anti-inflammatory effect. Inhalation should be carried out every day 2-3 times.
If you comprehensively treat bronchitis in adults, the symptoms will very soon cease to bother you.
Since practically every one of us suffers from catarrhal diseases, it is impossible to protect oneself from bronchitis completely, but the probability of its occurrence can be reduced. To do this, take the following measures:
- During the cold season, avoid severe hypothermia.
- Do not come into contact with people who suffer from viral infections.
- It is necessary to reduce contact with allergens.
- Take vitamins so that your immunity is always on guard of health.
- Harden, lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Give up bad habits.
If you follow these recommendations, then bronchitis can be much less common. Any disease is always easier to prevent than to spend time, energy and money on its treatment.