Flatulence: Symptoms and Treatment
Flatulence or bloating - excessive accumulation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). This can be a consequence of both increased gas formation and their insufficient elimination from the body. The digestive tract of a healthy person contains a certain amount of gases. Their number and character vary depending on lifestyle, age, nutrition.
Causes of flatulence
Gases are formed in the body in several ways. First, it is the ingestion of air during meals, drinks. This is called aerophagy. Secondly, the release of gases occurs during digestion as a result of neutralization of pancreatic and gastric juices with bicarbonates. In addition, part of the gas comes from the blood and is formed due to the vital activity of the intestinal microflora.
Pronounced flatulence without pathologies observed
- When ingesting large portions of air while eating, drinking beverages with a high content of gases, with fast eating food ("on the run"). All this provokes an excessive flow of gases into the stomach.The result is a violation of the secretion of gastric juice, necessary for digestion. Food is not able to split into proteins, fats and carbohydrates, so the residues begin to ferment and rot in the intestines. This leads to the production of large amounts of gas, resulting in increased flatulence. Symptoms are spasms, pain and abdominal distention.
- With excessive consumption of foods that cause the formation of gases, such as legumes, apples, cabbage.
- With the consumption of products that can enhance the fermentation process: black bread, beer, kvass.
- In people who do not tolerate lactose, i.e. dairy.
- In pregnant women due to compression of the uterus of the intestine: slows down the movement of food and the process of absorption of nutrients.
When a spasm occurs in the colon, a violation of the discharge of gases occurs. This is accompanied by an increase in the abdomen, distention, pain, and discomfort. The increased discharge of gas from the intestines is another manifestation of the disease flatulence. Symptoms of pain are mild, but there is a “rumbling” in the stomach, a feeling of “transfusion” of the fluid inside, a distention.
Flatulence caused by abnormalities of the digestive system
- Mechanical bloating occurs when there is an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, such as stenosis, swelling, or adhesions.
- Dynamic flatulence with motor dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract (peritonitis, infection and intoxication).
- Inflammatory diseases of the digestive system or bowel disease.
- Circular bloating arising from local circulatory disorders.
Treatment for flatulence
If a patient has severe flatulence, consultation with a specialist is necessary. Depending on what caused the disease, the necessary treatment is determined. For example, if food was used to cause abundant gas formation, this could provoke flatulence. Symptoms in this case are manifested by abdominal pain, distention, discomfort. It is necessary to adjust the diet, reduce the number of foods that provoke attacks.