How cough medicine is used in the treatment of colds
Cough is a familiar satellite of almost every disease that affects the respiratory tract. It can also occur due to the presence of a foreign body, inhalation of corrosive and toxic gases. It should be remembered that this reflex act is a protective reaction of the body, therefore, before looking for a cough remedy at the pharmacy, think seriously about the consequences. After all, your task is not to eliminate, but to make it softer. An attempt at complete deliverance is used only in cases when the function of the cough is impaired and it no longer carries any effective load (causes choking, vomiting, leads to insomnia).
What cough remedy is better? There is no definitive answer to this question, since the cause of this symptom can be many factors. Let us examine the most common of them.
- Pharyngitis and laryngitis.In this case, cough is a concomitant symptom of inflammation of the pharynx, larynx.
- Bronchitis. Excessive sputum and an unpleasant sensation in the chest amid worsening of general well-being.
- Pneumonia. A more serious infectious-inflammatory process, which is expressed in violation of the patency of the bronchial passages. Sneezing and coughing is an attempt by the body to eliminate the “trouble”, but these attempts only lead to the spread of the disease.
Treatment of the disease
Bronchitis, pneumonia, pharyngitis and other ailments of this type should be treated only with the knowledge of the doctor, who will carefully examine the cause of the disease and prescribe a cough remedy aimed at eliminating the development of disease mechanisms. Quite often, the choice of a specialist falls on antibiotics, since this is the most effective method for combating pathogens. Before prescribing these, the doctor will definitely examine your individual tolerance and microflora.
Viral cause of the disease
If you have a viral infection, it is advisable to use rimantadine and interferon. In the initial stages, they are the number one cough medicine.Remember that bronchitis and pneumonia, which can interfere with bronchial patency, should be treated with appropriate drugs: mucolytics, methylxanthines, adrenergic mimetics.
Many in the early stages only do that they get rid of the external manifestations of the disease. However, we should not forget that we should not stop at this, and going to a doctor should be only a matter of time. Start with antipyretic drugs and immunomodulators. Then select an effective remedy for dry cough and pay enough attention to measures aimed at reducing the manifestation of general intoxication.
Drugs for treatment
Symptomatic treatment also has its own systematization:
- Mucolytics. These drugs, used as a cough aid, increase the amount of sputum and contribute to its separation. Used when sputum is already thick and viscous, which contributes to its removal.
- Expectorants. Stimulate bronchial glands and dilute phlegm. Used to treat already wet cough.
- Antitussive drugs. Directly block the links of the nervous system responsible for coughing.
Many drugs sold in pharmacies are sold without a doctor's prescription. Do not seek to cope with the disease yourself and do not neglect the advice of a specialist.