How to breed bees?
Watch the video
Honey is a natural product that is partially digested in the bee goiter. Honey consists of 20 percent water and about 80 percent carbohydrates. Communication with bees allows a person not only to develop inquisitiveness to nature, to enrich themselves spiritually, but also allows you to enjoy the natural gift that bees bring to their houses. The article will talk about how to breed bees and properly maintain them.
To become a real beekeeper, you need to study well the life and habitat of bees. But sometimes one theory is not enough, in this case it is desirable to have at least a little experience in the apiary.
Breeding bees at home
- Many novice beekeepers wonder where to start breeding bees. First you need to clearly define the type of new hive. One of the best hives is considered 12-frame, the so-called Dadana. Once you have decided on the type of hive, it is necessary to settle this house. Beekeepers recommend to begin to colonize at least three families, arguing that some of the families or the uterus may die unexpectedly. In the early stages of the family it is advisable to buy from beekeepers.
- Frames for the hive is recommended for beginner beekeepers to buy, but as soon as you have the experience, time and desire, you can design the framework yourself. This will require the most simple woodworking machine.
- So, there are already hives, the family is settled in it, and the framework has been prepared. Now you need to think about breeding bees.
Cultivation and maintenance of bees
- It is advisable to put hives on the other side where the sun awakens as early as possible. The rising sun will help to wake the bees and send them to work. But we must remember that beehives should not stand in the sun - this will lead to stuffiness and even melting of honeycombs, and, therefore, the bees will stop coming back home.
- It is better to paint their houses in white, this color will not allow the house to heat up from the sun.
- Breeding of bees usually occurs in a natural way - by growing a young uterus within the family. After that, the family of bees is divided in half, and the new family remains in the hive, and the other family with the old queen flies out in search of a new home. Here pre-cooked empty hives will be useful.
- When working with bees, it is imperative that you have with you the so-called smoke, a face net and an integral tool - a chisel.Also in the process of removing honey, you will need a brush to sweep the bees from the honeycombs, a scraper for cleaning hives and a fork for opening the honeycombs.
Beekeeping for beginners. Useful tips
- If the first time did not succeed in settling the family in the hive, do not give up. Learn from your mistakes.
- It must be remembered that bees live their lives according to their own special laws, which are sometimes difficult to understand, but they need to be taken into account and maintained.
- You can never starve the bees, you need to know that the bees do not use up a gram of honey in vain. If there are few flowering fields nearby, it is necessary to feed the bees with sugar syrup.
- Do not try to increase the number of families in the first year; the apiary is strong with the quality of the family, not the number, therefore only strong bees will bring you income.
- Do not try to disturb the apiary often, as a disturbed family will not bring you even half of its possible honey. If you see insects in the hives, put just a few cloves of garlic that will not harm the bees, but will scare away insects. This way you do not have to clean the hive.
- Take care of each bee, as the family spends a lot of time raising a bee.
- Always keep a pair of hives in reserve. Perhaps some family will like your hive, and they will settle in it.