How to resolve a conflict?
Conflicts are a fairly frequent occurrence. They can occur even with excellent relationships between people. Conflicts are of the following types: interpersonal conflict, intrapersonal conflict, intergroup conflict, the conflict between the individual and the group. Also, conflicts are explicit and hidden. Consider how to resolve the conflict.
Conflict resolution methods
The process of resolving any conflicts consists of three stages:
- Diagnosis of conflict.
- Developing a conflict resolution strategy and technology.
- The implementation of a set of tools and techniques.
All methods of solving conflict situations are divided into 2 groups: negative and positive. The first include various types of struggle, the goal of which is to win one side over the other. When applying positive methods, the fundamentals of the relationship between the subjects of a conflict situation remain.
Positive methods of conflict resolution: negotiation, compromise, consensus. Negotiation is a general discussion of controversial issues by different parties, the purpose of which is to reach agreement.
A compromise is an agreement based on mutual concessions. There are voluntary and forced tradeoffs. Consensus is a form of expression of agreement with the arguments of an adversary in a dispute.
How to resolve conflict in a team
In groups quite often there are a variety of conflict situations. They can occur between the head and subordinates (vertical) and between employees of the same level (horizontal). An important role in solving conflicts belongs to the head of the organization. The ability to resolve conflicts is one of the most important properties that a manager should possess.
Selected several effective ways to manage conflicts. They are divided into two groups: interpersonal and structural. Interpersonal include:
Structural methods include:
- clarification of job requirements;
- integration and coordination mechanisms;
- reward structure;
- corporate integrated goals.
There are five basic strategies of behavior in a conflict: cooperation, competition (or rivalry), evasion, compromise and adaptation. Stages of conflict resolution:
- It is necessary to establish the actors in the conflict situation.
- To study the goals, motives, features of character, ability, competence, professionalism of all participants.
- Analyze what was the relationship between the conflicting parties before this situation.
- Determine the cause of the conflict.
- Consider how the conflicting parties plan to resolve the conflict situation.
- To reveal an opinion on the current situation of third parties interested in a favorable outcome of the conflict.
- Determine the resolution of the conflict, which would correspond to the nature of its causes, take into account the peculiarities of people involved in the conflict, be constructive, contribute to the development of the team and meet the goals of improving relationships.
- Implement these methods.
Conflict resolution is a great art. In any situation, you should be as objective as possible and remember that your opponent is, first of all, a person. Do not pay attention to the shortcomings of the enemy, but look for positive qualities in him. Do not let the emotions in conflict situations. Do not argue over trifles.
Conflicts do not always have negative consequences. Sometimes they can be helpful. After all, it is not for nothing that they say that "truth is born in disputes."