Poinsettia care at home
The article will appeal to people who are not indifferent to indoor plants, because the topic will be the care and breeding of poinsettia at home. It is often called the "Christmas star", because it blooms in late December. A bright scarlet flower appears. The time and effort spent on nursing is worth it to end up with incredible beauty.
Homeland - tropical Mexico. The Aztecs used the leaves and poinsettia root to combat ailments.
The plant is unpretentious in the care, with one reservation. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to achieve flowering in apartment conditions. Height at home reaches 35 centimeters.
Secrets of Poinsettia Care
- Priming. It is necessary to ensure the optimal composition of the soil. Flower like nourishing and loose earth. The ideal option is considered to be a mixture of sand, turf, leaf earth and peat in equal quantities. The acidity of the soil is slightly acidic or neutral.
- Temperature. Warm air needed.Ideally, maintain the temperature in the room within 20-25 degrees. Avoid drafts and sudden changes in temperature, which lead to falling leaves.
- Lighting. The plant needs good lighting. Should not fall the sun's rays, detrimental to the foliage. You can keep it on the sunny windowsill, but during the period of the sun to move to a dark place.
- Watering. Watering poinsettia, like dracaena, is abundant. The main thing is that the earth bed is well soaked with water. In the pan water should not be. Moisten the soil as the top coat dries. If the soil is dry, the leaves will crumble. In the summer regularly sprayed.
- Top dressing. In the spring, during the period of growth, poinsettia should be fed once every three weeks, using granulated or liquid mineral fertilizers. Until autumn, provide foliar supplements using molybdenum, zinc and iron fertilizers.
- Pruning. After flowering begins rapid growth. In early spring, cut the stems to third. Adjust the thickness and size by trimming and nipping shoots.
- Transfer. It is recommended to transplant poinsettia once every 2-3 years in mid-May using the transshipment method, which preserves the integrity of the earthen coma.Choose a larger pot, lay a drainage layer on the bottom and prepared soil, plant a flower, cutting dead roots in advance. Carefully moisten the primer.
Perform flower operations with caution and gloves. After hand wash thoroughly with soap. Make sure that pets do not nibble it.
Poinsettia species differ in shape and color of bracts. Classify varieties of exotic shades of bracts
In natural conditions, grows about a hundred varieties of plants. Florists brought out a considerable number of hybrids. Consider the popular species.
Red Poinsettia and Varieties
Red bract, towering above the dark green foliage, is considered a classic of the genre. It is characteristic of the varieties of poinsettia Sonora, Olympia, Galaxy. A paler red bract at the Champion variety, at the Red Jester - dark streaks. Varieties of Diamonds Red and Liberty boast a pure scarlet shade, and the Winter Rose is characterized by wrapped leaves of a bract.
Pink poinsettia and varieties
Varieties of pink poinsettia are numerous, often found in flower shops and private collections. Variety Maren has a dairy flower garden with a pink shade. There are varieties with salmon and hot pink colors. Pink leaves of the bract in Da Vinci variety, Silver Marble leaves with white edging. Variety Strawberry with Cream has pink-purple foliage with jagged edges.
White poinsettia and varieties
White flower is not inferior in beauty to red and pink rivals. White varieties are characterized by a special charm, restrained elegance and nobility. Color affects a variety of shades. The White Star variety is absolutely white, the White Freedom has an ivory shade. Regina's white bracts have green veins.
I have listed not all varieties of poinsettia. Flower growers of various ranks continue to be engaged in selection, and new hybrids, varieties and species appear annually.
Recently, there is a tradition to use a flower as a New Year attribute. Many families in Europe celebrate the New Year with Christmas tree and poinsettia. We have so far only a beautiful ornamental plant, ideal for the role of a gift.
Reproduction poinsettia cuttings
Under natural conditions, poinsettia propagates by seed.In gardening, use cuttings.
Propagated at any time of the year with stem and apical cuttings. Maximum rooting is achieved after a period of rest, when new buds are formed, and shoots are growing rapidly.
For reproduction of poinsettia, cuttings with five or more internodes are ideal. The bottom cut is done under the knot. It is recommended to remove the lower leaflets, and wash off the milky juice, otherwise the vessels will be blocked.
- Rooted cuttings in special pots filled with a mixture of peat and sand. Suitable and a mixture of soil with peat tablets, crushed sphagnum and perlite. The pot is filled with the prepared mixture, having previously made a drainage layer, and having carefully applied it, in order to eliminate voids.
- Cuttings of the plant are planted in a pot, deepening about two centimeters. It is recommended to moisten the soil in advance and wait until excess fluid flows. Cuttings are planted in a wet substrate, not in the dirt.
- The cuttings are covered with a transparent film or a cut off top of a plastic bottle. Pot with seedlings kept in a warm place. Excellent sill, under which is located the radiator of the heating system. Poinsettia requires a temperature of 24 degrees for normal rooting.
Rooting duration is one month. If the procedure is carried out in the summer, make sure that the sun rays are not falling on the seedlings, which are also afraid of croton seedlings. When it's hot outside, spray the cuttings with water.
- After a few months, the young plants should be transplanted into separate pots with a diameter of about 8 centimeters. Fill them with a fertile mixture of leaf earth, sand and peat.
- Pinch the tops of the young plants. In order to have a rich red color in winter, feed with special potassium-based fertilizers from autumn.
Some poinsettia multiplication is not recommended. We are talking about plants purchased in the middle of winter in the subway or on the street. Under the influence of low temperature, they freeze over and lose the ability to release roots.
Problems in breeding, pests, diseases
The root cause of the problems faced by flower growers during the cultivation of poinsettia, is an elementary neglect of the rules of care. The health of this wonderful flower depends on the conditions of detention and the characteristics of watering.
- If the leaves of poinsettia turn yellow and fall off gradually, this is the first sign of the wrong temperature. Sudden temperature drops adversely affect the flower. To avoid such problems, move the Christmas star to a room with a stable climate.
- If burns appear on the leaves of a poinsettia, direct sunlight will fall. Even cacti are very afraid of them. Immediately move the plant to a dark place. If this is not possible, create optimal conditions through a thick curtain.
- Improper watering is fraught with root system rot. To preserve the flower, pour water from the pan when watering. If some parts of the root are affected, carefully remove them, and reduce the amount of water used during irrigation. Often the solution to the problem involves replacing the soil or replanting.
- . If the poinsettia comes into view of the aphids, the leaves start to curl, turn yellow and fall off. The development of the flower stops. Mechanical removal of light green insects will help to solve the problem, followed by the use of special preparations that include Permethrin.Remove affected leaves and shoots.
- White fly. Poinsettia and whitefly cause considerable damage. The greenish larvae of this tiny white midge settle on the reverse side of the leaflets, feed on cell sap and leave a sugary discharge. Foliage is covered with whitish spots, curls, turns yellow and falls. Eliminate the problem of insecticide spraying for three days.
- Mealybug. It also affects other indoor plants, including phalaenopsis. Affected poinsettia stops growth, sheds dried and yellowed leaves. When inspecting the root system at the initial stage, you will find small clusters of pests whose numbers are rapidly growing. Disinfection of the pot, cleaning and rinsing the root system with an insecticide solution, and subsequent transplanting into fresh soil will cope with the scourge of the pot.
Why leaves turn yellow and fall
To give indoor plants in pots, especially for the New Year holidays, fashionable and modern. In a period when blizzards and frosts are ravaging outside the window, such a gift is a part of a summer that you look forward to.
Poinsettia - the most popular ornamental plant, blooming in winter.It is regrettable, but after the holidays almost all the flowers are sent to the trash. The plant blossoms, sheds foliage and loses its original appearance. At the same time, many owners do not even think about why the leaves turn yellow and fall.
In optimal conditions, poinsettia blooms for a long time and pleases the hosts with its excellent appearance. After flowering, there is a period of rest, which is accompanied by a discharge of leaves. This is a natural phenomenon and should not panic.
- Errors in care also lead to unnatural leaves falling: constant temperature drops, poor lighting, waterlogging or drying out of the soil, excessively dry air. To avoid problems, keep the plant warm, feed and spray regularly.
- Poinsettia's worst enemy is cold. Even a short stay in the cold has a detrimental effect on the plant. It begins with the fall of the leaves, and ends with the death of the roots. With a timely response, short-term drought is not terrible.
- Poinsettia is characterized by a poor reaction to increased air dryness and drafts that can cause various diseases. Insects are often the culprits of foliar discharges.
Problems with yellowing and dropping foliage are usually associated with improper care. If you listen carefully to the recommendations outlined at the beginning of the material, the poinsettia will be fine.
How to make poinsettia bloom
In residential conditions, without observing a special regime of maintenance, poinsettia flowering is difficult. For the emergence of flower buds, it is necessary to create conditions close to the natural environment.
At home, poinsettia begins to bloom after 60 days of a light day, lasting 10 hours. In a residential area create such conditions by artificial means.
Method one - protection from light
From late September, cover poinsettia daily with an opaque film or cardboard box. In such conditions, keep the flower from six in the evening to eight in the morning.
The second way - a natural change of light and darkness
In the fall, place the flower pot in a non-residential area or a heated greenhouse. In any of these places should be no natural lighting. During this period, poinsettia is a fairly short daylight day.
Method three - using an opaque barrier
In the room, the most beautiful spurge is constantly illuminated with various electrical appliances.Even a small amount of light that does not meet the norm of daylight can interfere with the flowering of poinsettia. If the pot with a flower is on the windowsill, its thick curtains will protect it from artificial light. Daily pull them after six in the evening.
During the entire period, pour poinsettia with warm, settled water. Weekly to make special fertilizers. Perform the described actions until the beginning of December, after the flower transfer to a well-lit window sill. After some time, buds will appear, and a little later amazing bracts.