Muddy water in the aquarium, what to do? Aquarium content
Turbidity in aquariums occurs for a variety of reasons. The most innocuous of them lie in the rise of small particles of soil from the bottom of the tank during fish activity or water change. However, there are a sufficient number of other, more unpleasant causes, which result in muddy water in the aquarium. What to do in such cases and how to fix the problem?
The emergence of a green tint of water may indicate the active reproduction of microscopic algae. Dealing with the elimination of this phenomenon is much more difficult compared to bacterial blooms.
The most obvious reason is the placement of the aquarium in a place where there is an abundance of direct sunlight. It is an overabundance of light, even artificial, that can lead to the appearance of green algae.
If there is no change after moving, then a good filter for the aquarium should be installed that will save the aquatic environment from an excess of nitrates and phosphates.These trace elements contribute to the active reproduction of algae.
At the first opportunity it is recommended to analyze the composition of the water. In the case of positive test results for the presence of the above substances, it is worth replacing the tap water with any available safe analog. If the reason lies not in the poor quality of water, you should somewhat cut down on feeding the inhabitants of the aquarium with dry mixtures.
Water is either gray or whitish.
Another problem is grayish or whitish muddy water in an aquarium. What to do in this case, we will tell you now. Often the root of the problem - at the bottom of the aquarium, namely in the clogged gravel. Wash the gravel before laying should be extremely careful. This will avoid the occurrence of such troubles.
With this problem, you can use an effective aquarium filter that will improve the effect of water purification. If the medium remains turbid after washing the substrate and filtering the water, the matter is in the presence of silicates, phosphates and heavy metals. This is confirmed by the use of an indicator or litmus test, which should confirm the alkaline environment.
By installing a home aquarium, some owners place an excessive amount of wooden objects in it. The medium can also acquire a tea shade when using peat extract as a filtration element.
The laying of new coals often leads to the release of humic acids and tannin into water, tinting the medium with a brown color. As a rule, it causes absolutely no harm to the fish, unless it leads to a change in the pH value.
Do you have brownish muddy water in an aquarium? What to do with such a problem should know any aquarist. Eliminate such troubles allows pre-soaking the tree in containers with water. Alternatively, activated carbon can be used as an absorbent to clean the aqueous medium.
Unusual water colors
Sometimes not only the water in the aquarium turns green, but also acquires other fairly original shades. There are a number of explanations for this phenomenon:
- The use of some drugs, for example, methylene blue or acriflavine, can lead to the appearance of colored water.After some time after using these substances it is recommended to carefully filter the water.
- Often stains water colored gravel. If the home aquarium is covered with substrate in the form of colored gravel, which causes staining of the water, use of the same activated carbon will help here.
- Over a long time after the last cleaning of the aquarium, various substances can accumulate in a dissimilar substrate. Raise them from the bottom can as residents of the aquarium, and an aquarist.
- Crushed food partially pops out of the gills of large fish. This problem is typical for the maintenance of some species of exotic inhabitants and their feeding with original color feeds. If in this situation the water in the aquarium quickly becomes turbid, breeding snails, catfish or shrimp, which eat up food from the bottom and act as natural filters, will help to eliminate the problem.
- The presence of dead fish lost in algae or elements of the aquarium decoration can overload the filtration system. Therefore, it is necessary to try to remove the bodies of the dead inhabitants of the aquatic environment in a timely manner before the decomposition processes begin.
In aquariums constantly runs a lot of chemical processes as a result of the vital activity of plants and organisms. Bacteria that inhabit the water column, soils, convert the decay products of feed, fish elements, vegetation. Therefore, it is important to know how often and how to change the water in the aquarium.
Many inexperienced aquarists rarely change the water in an aquarium, frightening its turbidity. After a certain time, the cloudy mass disappears, becoming crystal clear. This process can be somewhat accelerated by adding some volume of distilled water from another tank to an aquarium.
Mass reproduction of bacteria
A new aquarium for beginners can be a problem such as an accelerated increase in the number of bacteria in the aquatic environment. In most cases, the shade of water quickly returns to normal in a natural way.
The reproduction of bacteria rarely occurs in long-running aquariums. If this happens in these conditions, it is an indicator of a strong organic destruction of the ecosystem.
When breeding bacteria in the aquarium should immediately move all the inhabitants in a container of clean water.Then you need to clean it, replace the water and wait until it is established biological balance.
Over-population of the aquarium
What should be the water in the aquarium? To achieve the perfect purity of the water mass is not so easy. Especially if the capacity is overcrowded with plants and organisms. A crowded aquarium becomes an ideal breeding medium for unicellulars.
Water clouding during overpopulation can be eliminated by depositing fish for some time in another tank. When idle, the inhabitants of the aquarium can be subjected to a wide range of diseases, leading to their mass death.
How to change the water in the aquarium with overpopulation? Dump it completely is not necessary. It is enough to make a regular change of water in small quantities, replacing it with distilled liquid from other containers.
In order for a populated aquarium to remain clean and transparent, it is necessary to supply such amount of food that will be eaten within 5-10 minutes. Absolutely unacceptable is the accumulation of food at the bottom of the aquarium.
Raid on decorations and plants
This phenomenon is quite dangerous for the aquarium ecosystem.This happens as a result of feeding the fish with insufficiently washed, uncleaned feed, for example, a pipe maker.
Accumulation of sediments is also observed when the abundance of heat is exposed to the aquatic environment, which leads to the formation of iron salts. It is possible to get rid of plaque exclusively mechanically, by washing off the affected areas or by cleaning it with a foam sponge.
Abundance of algae
Overgrowing aquarium plants not only leads to the formation of a turbid environment, but also creates significant discomfort for its inhabitants. Plants create excessive shade in the lower layers. Rotting, the roots of algae give a muddy sediment and even poison the water.
In this case, it is worth thinning the plants. Pull old bushes out of the ground should be carefully, along with the roots. In some cases, it is enough just to trim the extra branches. However, this should be done very carefully. After all, when cutting, you can cause even more damage to the ecosystem than with natural rotting and plant death.
Other ways to keep the aquatic environment clean
Choosing an aquarium for beginners, it is recommended to get antsistrusami - bottom hospital attendants.Such fish are not only part of the ecosystem, but at the same time play the role of biological purifiers of the aquatic environment.
It is extremely important to have plants that can clean the water. They should be placed in an aquarium in moderate quantities so that there is no difficulty in moving the fish. Naturally, every plant requires proper care and care. If the requirements are not followed, the water in the aquarium remains turbid, and the algae themselves partially die.
So that the water in the aquarium does not become cloudy, it is usually sufficient to purchase a powerful filter. In case of its absence, fish should be fed moderately and a third of the water should be changed once a week.
As follows from the above, it is necessary to monitor the increase in the concentration in the aquatic environment of chemical and biological substances. The rapid reproduction of individual strains of microorganisms is possible with stable indicators of nitrate-containing organic compounds. A possible cause of clouding and disruption of the ecological balance is the presence of dead algae, parts of plants, dead fish.
As a preventive measure, the reliability of the biofilter should be checked.Periodic cleaning of the soil also helps to avoid problems. For this, special aquarium siphons are used. With the observance of such simple precautions, the risk of appearance of muddy water in the aquarium and the probability of causing irreparable harm to its inhabitants is significantly reduced.
Quite a common problem - muddy water in the aquarium. What to do in this case, we have already told you. Finally give some more tips. In order not to puzzle over the causes of turbidity of the aquatic environment in an aquarium, it is enough for novice aquarists to follow certain rules:
- Laying the soil on the bottom of the tank requires thorough washing.
- It is advisable to give preference to large-sized aquariums. The greater the volume of water, the easier it is to establish biological balance in the tank.
- Do not overfeed the inhabitants of the aquarium. If there is an abundance of uneaten remains at the bottom, timely measures should be taken to clean them.
- The maintenance of an aquarium requires its equipment by means of biological and mechanical filtration.
- When using chemicals for the correction of the composition of water, it is necessary to have a clear idea of the nature of their own actions.Thoughtless use of specialized chemistry can only harm the ecosystem.
- Do not forget to periodically clean the water pump with a rotating screw, and flush the hoses. For this it is convenient to use ordinary household brushes of various lengths.
- For avid aquarists, it is useful to have a wide range of tank cleaning products: a siphon for cleaning the substrate, a glass scraper, various brushes, specialized tests for analyzing the composition of the aquatic environment.