Why is the little finger of my left hand numb? What to do if a hand goes numb?
The problem of numbness in the hands and fingers of the hands is confronted by many people, with completely different ages. But, unfortunately, most do not attach any importance to these manifestations. Although this symptom can signal serious health problems. It is worth paying special attention when it manifests itself in the left side of the body, and in particular the little finger of the left hand or the whole hand becomes numb.
Before identifying the causes of this problem, it is necessary to clarify what is meant by the word "numbness". Numbness is a decrease in the sensitivity of nerve endings, which is manifested in the appearance of "ants", and this condition can occur without the influence of any external factors or under the influence of mechanical factors (pressure of the vessel or nerve).
Why numb pinky left hand
- A brief pinch of the nerve with a long finding hands in an uncomfortable position during sleep, while holding the handrails during a trip to transport, carrying weights.If numbness passes quickly, then there is no reason to worry.
- When avitaminosis often occurs a violation of the sensitivity of the fingers. Especially if the body does not have enough vitamin A and B vitamins, including B12.
- Numb of the little finger of the left hand in diseases of the heart and blood vessels (coronary disease, pre-stroke state).
- This phenomenon is observed in tunnel syndromes, when there is a pinched nerve in Huyn's carpal ulnar canal. This is due to the overstrain of the tendon-ligament apparatus of the hand, which can occur during prolonged use of the computer, during knitting, painting, sewing, etc.
- When there is a compression of the branches of the ulnar nerve: the syndrome of the ulnar nerve, neuritis, sciatica, cervical osteochondrosis, etc.
Left hand goes numb: reasons
The reason for the manifestation of this symptom can serve:
- Tight or uncomfortable clothes that overtighten heavily.
- Wearing weights, long-term occupation of work that requires the implementation of the same movements, such as needlework.
- Wrong position in a dream, as a result of which the blood circulation of the extremities is disturbed.
- Long arm position above the heart.
- Wrong pillow.
- If the fingers of the left hand are numb: the little finger, the ring finger, as well as part of the hand or the entire hand - most often this indicates cervical osteochondrosis, with numbness appearing when the head turns or a sharp movement of the body.
- Vertebral artery syndrome - a violation of the blood supply to the brain.
- Herniated intervertebral discs.
- Intercostal neuralgia.
- Preinfarction state - special attention should be paid to this symptom, if the little finger becomes numb on the left hand and there is pain in the heart. In this case, urgently need to call an ambulance.
- Stress and nervous strain.
- Disruption of metabolic processes caused by a lack of vitamins A and B.
What to do when the hand is numb
Before starting treatment, it is necessary to recognize the reasons why the left hand is numb. To do this, first of all, you should contact the doctor who will appoint an examination to clarify the diagnosis. Treatment, in turn, will depend on the diagnosis. For example, in cases where numbness is caused by displacement of the vertebrae, the formation of osteophytes or compression of the nerve of a tense muscle,physiotherapy, massage, manual therapy, acupuncture, dressing or splints on the spine, medicines that normalize metabolic processes in the bone and cartilage tissue are prescribed.
It is worth emphasizing that these methods of therapy should be made only on the recommendation of the attending physician.
To get rid of this condition, you can perform a series of exercises:
- Every morning after sleep, stretch your arms up, while squeezing and unclasping your fingers.
- Then lower the arms along the body, without ceasing to squeeze and unclench the fingers.
- After that, stand on socks, raise your hands up. Fix this position of the body for 1 minute.
- After the time has elapsed, go down on your feet, bring the outstretched arms back into the lock. It is enough to stand in this position for 1 minute.
If the cause of numbness is radiculitis, neuralgia, then finely rubbed fresh horseradish roots can be applied to the affected area of the body, and therapeutic baths from the bark of young aspen are also recommended. Include ginger powder in your diet - it strengthens the blood vessels and improves blood circulation.
In those cases when the little finger of the left hand goes numb or the entire hand is completely, while this condition becomes chronic and sore, before the treatment is prescribed, the doctor makes a diagnosis. It will help identify the causes that lead to numbness of the limbs. Among the methods of examination of the patient may be the following:
- Spine roentgenogram - reveals osteophytes or motile vertebrae.
- Electroneuromyography - provides an opportunity to make a diagnosis of the neuromuscular system.
- Computed tomography and vascular ultrasound - reveal possible circulatory disorders and the development of hemorrhage in the brain.
- Magnetic-nuclear resonance - determines the movement of blood through the brain tissue.
- Blood test for biochemistry - shows the level of cholesterol.
Which doctor to contact?
If the little finger of the left hand is numb, a part of the hand, completely the whole hand, it can speak about hidden diseases of the internal organs. In this regard, it is not necessary to postpone the visit to the doctor. First of all, it is recommended to contact your cardiologist for examination for the presence of coronary heart disease and prevent stroke or heart attack. Also be sure to visit a neurologist.The doctor will determine if the numbness of the fingers and hands is due to problems with the spine.
Prevention of numbness in the limbs
Prevention of numbness of the limbs is to maintain their own health.
- It is enough to systematically perform simple gymnastic exercises.
- It is necessary to avoid long work without interruption in one position. It is recommended to arrange short breaks in which you need to do a warm-up for the limbs and the whole body.
- It will also be useful to periodically attend manual therapy courses.
But it should be noted that if numbness of the limbs and fingers becomes chronic or accompanied by pain, then in such cases it is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible.